Friday, January 15, 2016

What I Don't Like About the Primaries . . .

I am a free market capitalist thru and thru.  I love competition; in business, in the arena of ideas, and even in ~gasp!~ kids’ sports and academics.  Competition brings better value to the consumer.   This is why I like primaries.  We get to hear candidates make their case for what they believe in . . . or what they think you believe in.  The trick is being able to tell the bs from the truth.  This is where records come in handy.

The part that I don’t like about primaries is that in advocating for their candidacy, many supporters ~and candidates themselves~ go off the deep end in attacking their competition.  I am all for pointing out your opponents’ beliefs and why yours are better, but the personal attacks is something that those who don’t have confidence in their own ideas have to do.  I pay close attention to what candidates say about their competition.  Are they accurate?  If they lie about their opponents, then I won’t trust them when they talk about their own beliefs.  This is the problem that I have with Huckabee and Santorium and Trump.  

A quote attributed to Eleanor Roosevelt is “Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.”   Except in politics!!  Actually, I think it applies to politics as well.  This is what I really like about Ted Cruz.   He talks policies and ideas, not people.  

Which brings me to a big reason that I have been turned off of Trump.  It is his supporters.  I appreciate that Trump is bringing up issues and is willing to say things that are not PC . . . 
But so many can’t take criticism of their candidate.  I’m
thinking specifically about a certain blog where I have a branch at the bottom.  They remind me of Obots and Paulbots.  They attack Ted Cruz using leftist tactics.  

They are attacking Ted’s father faith as being kooky.  Really?!?  

They have gone birther . . . 

They are showing their ignorance of how brokerage accounts work . . .

They have attacked Ted Cruz's wife . . . 

And when you question Trump's own support of amnesty, they go Alinsky.

Here are two examples of this that have happened in the last 48 hours.  These are personal attacks by individuals that I have had relationships with for 5+ years.  


This is what prompted this response.

Here is the Trump quote in question: 
“I would get people out and then have an expedited way of getting them back into the country so they can be legal…. A lot of these people are helping us … and sometimes it’s jobs a citizen of the United States doesn’t want to do. I want to move ’em out, and we’re going to move ’em back in and let them be legal.”  

Instead of simply answering my question about the substance of my question, he decided that he would personally attack me instead.  

And block me on Twitter.


This is an exchange that I had with another Trump supporter who has gone birther . . . 


Why won't Trump supporters admit that their candidate has flaws?

Because the only issue that Trump has is immigration. If that is shown to be false, then everything else falls apart.



"It doesn't matter how liberal Donald Trump is as long as he's right on immigration."  Ann Coulter.

This is why Trump supporters must go Alinsky.  




No comments:

Post a Comment